Tuesday, March 01, 2005

The Oscars

My family has this tradition where we make predictions on who's going to win the Oscars. I'm sure everyone does this. We used to make predictions on all the categories but honestly, who can tell when a movie has really good Sound Mixing?

So we whittled away the categories down to thirteen. These are the ones that we feel we can make "informed" decisions (we, as a family, being incurable movie buffs - we feel we have a pretty good idea what makes a movie good or bad) on.

Early on I realized that who I thought should win an Oscar is much different from who I think will be awarded with an Oscar. I lost this year because I let who I thought ought to win dominate my choices in a couple of categories. Don't get the wrong idea, I still have fun figuring out what Hollywood thinks is a body of work that is deserving of praise. But I feel it cheapens the Oscars somehow, because it rarely rewards on pure merit. Sentiment is always an important factor.

Well, not entirely. If sentiment was an overriding factor Scorsese would've gotten his Oscar and so would've Annette Bening.

I just think it's ridiculous that the Oscars hardly, if ever, take comedy and comedic roles seriously (don't you just love irony?). Come on, everybody knows it's harder to make people laugh than to make them cry.

Brain-drain, I suddenly ran out of things to say. Back to work (yes I'm in the office working, taking a break *shhh* don't tell my boss).

The drudgery of an office drone. You know, freelancing is starting to look really, really attractive to me.

2 comments:

wanggo said...

Oh well... I got 3 out of 13 because I chose who I wanted to win on some of the major categories... I wasn't being smart. I was just so pissed at the whole Closer thing. It should have gotten a nomination, even for screenplay. So I chose who I wanted to win... so I lost the bet...

I'll be smarter next year...

Anonymous said...

I found that there were no surprises this year, all except Best Picture that is. I expected The Aviator to win. But yeah, it was all pretty much pretty predictable to me. The fashions were fantastic though! I love love love Kate Blanchette's dress, and Maggie Gyllenhall (is that how you spell it)? THey're my best dressed picks.

Maya

Backgammon