Thursday, December 01, 2005

Baby Steps

I finally started teaching last month. It's a little bizarre that I'm finally doing what I've set out to do. All the people who know me know I'm a procrastinator who thinks instant gratification takes too long. This is incredible that I have set out a long-term goal and actually met it.

I'm not surprised that I like teaching. I've always known that I like it. I enjoyed doing reports in front of the class back in the day. I have fun every summer when I teach either Basic Acting or the Improvs class. When I was teaching Koreans and professionals "practical" English, it was a job I didn't mind waking up early for and going everyday to do. Even as a student I used to daydream how I would run a class or how to teach a subject. So yes, teaching is something I see myself doing for the long term (knock on wood).

I didn't realize how (corny as it may sound) fulfilling it is.

I'm a believer of things that cannot be explained (a nice way of saying "superstitious", isn't it?) so I pay attention to my horoscopes (not the newspaper/magazine variety -- the personal ones), knock on wood and send eggs to the Carmelite nuns when something important needs the Hand of God. However I'm never around when a "oh my God, I went to this manghuhula and he was, like, so brilliant! We should go"-type reader is around or whenever a meeting with "this person is the real thing, she's not flaky and really knows her astrology" is scheduled. Finally I hit the jackpot and this "omigod this brilliant numerologist came over from Iloilo and, gawd, he's, like, super good. He, like, totally got it! He knows his shit" came over and I was available.

My point is, he read me and he told me that the best work suited to me is teaching. I felt really good about that. I felt validated in my choice, like I did the smart move. I know my family has supported me in this decision but it's something else when it comes from someone who has no vested interest in your well-being.

One step at a time. That's what I'm learning. Take it one step at a time. It took me a hell of a lot longer than I expected but at last I'm doing something I set out to do.

No comments:

Backgammon