Sunday, December 11, 2005

Timing

My dad texts me these quotes almost everyday. I don't know where he gets them (quite possibly from the people who text him) but his supply seems limitless. I keep them, almost every one of them. I type them up and save them on a file I have in my computer. The sappy ones, the witty ones, the profound ones, I kept them all.

I'm in the middle of typing another batch when I came across this one: "Sometimes, all it takes is knowing when."

Timing is key, isn't it? Knowing when to to act, when not to act. Knowing when to advance and when to retreat. As I sit here, I'm thinking back on all the times when I acted at the right moment, when I hesitated and when I blundered. The last two has happened a lot more than the first.

There's a thought that it's better to act and fail than not to act at all. I don't know if this is right anymore. I used to think so. However, looking back, I only thought so when I had already acted and then blundered. I'd say it to myself as justification of my actions. Now that I'm older, I tend to think that discretion really is the better part of valor.

No comments:

Backgammon